The Academy Helps in Combating Childhood Obesity
Childhood obesity is a significant problem that puts children at risk for poor health. The Academy helps in combating childhood obesity by being a Gold Sneaker certified child-care provider. This certification is given by the state of Tennessee to child care providers that implement physical activity, nutrition, and tobacco-free campus policies. Although Gold Sneaker certification is voluntary, all directors and educators must take the Gold Sneaker initiative training course for a facility to be certified.
Additionally, The Academy has the highest rating given by the Tennessee Star-Quality Child Care Program. This means we meet the highest possible standards in child care.
Parents Can Help in Combating Childhood Obesity
- Eliminate unhealthy snacks, such as French Fries. Provide only healthful snacks such as fresh fruits.
- Be a positive role model in your eating habits. Never offer second helpings. Avoid leftovers.
- Eliminate sugar-sweetened drinks. Encourage lots of water.
- Limit screen time. Plan a fun activity outdoors.
- Never use food as a reward for good behavior.
Long-term Consequences of Childhood Obesity
Obesity in children has more than tripled in the past 30 years. Not only does childhood obesity affect a child’s health, but it can also lead to poor self-esteem and teasing by others. There are also long-term consequences of childhood obesity.
- A greater chance of being obese as an adult
- A risk of medical problems such as asthma, diabetes, and heart disease
- Social isolation and depression
The Academy Partners with Parents
We at The Academy work with parents to provide an environment that will help address childhood obesity. By addressing the issue when children are young, we may prevent a lifetime of obesity and disease.
For the best child care in Hendersonville and the other cities surrounding Nashville, come to The Academy.