Getting Ready For Kindergarten
Kindergarten can be a big adjustment for kids, as well as parents. If you haven’t been getting ready for kindergarten, there are still some things that you can do to help your child adjust.
Tips for Making Kindergarten Easier
Before school started, sleeping times could be adjusted according to the activities of the family. However, once kindergarten begins, some routines might need to be adjusted:
- Eliminate nap time. Most children by the age of five have quit their naps. But if your child still wants one, help your child adjust to a day without naps.
- Have a set time for bed. Your child will need to get into the routine of going to bed earlier and at the same time. This will make it easier for him to be ready in the morning to get dressed, eat, and leave for school.
Expectations for Kindergarten
Parents need to talk to their children about what kindergarten will be like. Here are a few things to discuss with your child:
- Length of the school day. Most kindergartens are full day. At first, your child may be tired by the length of the day and the many structured activities. When your child gets home, have a healthy snack ready allow him time for some favorite activities.
- Clothes and school items. Your child may need to dress a little bit differently for kindergarten. If that’s a problem, encourage your child to pick out school outfits. Definitely let your child choose items for school such as back packs, crayons, etc. Your child will be excited to go to school to show the other kids the new purchases.
- Daily kindergarten routines. Talk to your child about the importance of following instructions, listening carefully to the teacher, and getting along with the other children. Make this an ongoing discussion as the year goes on.
The Academy Is Your Child’s Partner in Getting Ready for Kindergarten
While Parents prepare their children for kindergarten at home, we are doing the same thing here at The Academy. Our pre-K programs in Nashville focus on preparing the students on a daily basis. Our Kindergarten Boot Camp program is a concentrated summer program that brings all the training together. If you have a child that is pre-K age, now is a good time to start preparing for next year.